As Willie Nelson famously sang: "Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other" — and that stays true in the new trailer for Strange Way of Life, the upcoming Western short from Pedro Almodóvar.
The preview shows a heated reunion between Silva (Pedro Pascal) and Sheriff Jake (Ethan Hawke) who after 25 years, reunite in the desert: "They celebrate the meeting, but the next morning Jake tells him that reason for his trip is not to go down the memory lane of their friendship," reads the IMDB plot summary.
The short preview features nods to classic Westerns, like a recreation of the famous doorway shot from The Searchers, but it also has the campy and colorful hallmarks of an Almodóvar film.
In a recent interview with Insider, Pascal talked about filming Strange Way of Life, saying:
"He [Almodóvar] absolutely opened up an entire world of storytelling, color, culture, rebellion, and sexuality that was just absolutely intoxicating, dangerous, hilarious, heartbreaking, and encompassing the whole spectrum, but with such a signature style," revealed The Last of Us star. "It could have been anything that he asked me to do, and I would have done it without question."
As Logo previously reported, Hawke will "play a sheriff, while Pascal plays another middle-aged gunslinger who lives on the opposite side of the desert." The two reunite after they were both hired gunmen 25 years earlier.
In an interview with Indiewire last year, Almodóvar said that Strange Way of Life "could be like my answer to Brokeback Mountain."
“It’s about masculinity in a deep sense, because the Western is a male genre,” described Almodóvar. “What I can tell you about the film is that it has a lot of the elements of the Western — it has the gunslinger, it has the ranch, it has the sheriff — but what it has that most Westerns don’t have is the kind of dialogue that I don’t think a Western film has ever captured between two men. And now I think I’m telling you a little bit too much.”
"One of them travels through the desert to find the other," the director revealed in his IndieWire interview. "There will be a showdown between them, but really the story is very intimate."
In a statement when the film was initially announced, Almodóvar said: “I won’t say any more because I don’t want to reveal all the script’s surprises."
Strange Way of Life was filmed in English and shot in Southern Spain. The short will premiere next month at this year's Cannes Film Festival. Until then, check out the new trailer below.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023