A black transgender woman was shot and killed this weekend in North Charleston, South Carolina.
The woman has been identified as Denali Berries Stuckey, TransGriot reports.
Police officers responded to a call early Saturday morning and found Stuckey dead at the scene with a gunshot wound, her body lying by the side of the road on Carner Avenue.
Stuckey, 29, has been misgendered and deadnamed by local media outlets. Authorities say Stuckey was found "dressed as a female," ABC 4 reports.
Asked if they were investigating the incident as a possible hate crime, a North Charleston Police Department representative said it was being investigated as a homicide. No arrests have been made.
"She is one of at least 12 transgender women to have died by violent means this year alone," HRC tweeted about Stuckey. "This violence must cease."
Anyone with information about the fatal shooting is encouraged to call NCPD Crime Stoppers at 843-554-1111.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023