The Philadelphia Eagles made one gay superfan's dying wish come true when they invited him to attend one of their biggest games of the year.
Joe Guckin, a lifelong Eagles fan and occasional blogger for Outsports, received the call from the team this past September after announcing on his personal blog that he'd be ending treatment on a tumor in his brain. Though doctors estimated that he'd have six months left to live, his health quickly began to deteriorate.
The team mobilized to ensure that Guckin could see one last game before being fully confined to his home. After arranging ADA-compliant seating so he could watch from his wheelchair, the Eagles invited him and his brother to their huge Sunday match-up against the Atlanta Falcons.
A few days before the game, however, ambulance services told Joe's brother that they wouldn't be able to bring Guckin back and forth between his home and Lincoln Financial Field. The news effectively put a pin in their plans and Joe was ready to send the Eagles an email sadly declining their offer.
Fortunately, that's when state Rep. Brian Sims stepped in and made private transportation arrangements for the brothers. Thanks to Sims, Joe was able to make it to the game and see his beloved team win over the Falcons 24-15.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023