On Saturday, someone stole a Pride flag from outside a church in Texas and replaced it with an American flag. The unknown assailant left a typed note reading, “I didn’t agree with your flag so I took it down. If you don’t agree with this one, you can take it down. P.S. there are only 2 (two) genders."
The stolen flag was donated to the Community Unitarian Universalist Church in Plano last October by member Betsy Friauf, as a symbol of the church’s inclusivity. Friauf says she's surprised the flag wasn't stolen or desecrated earlier.
"It wasn’t a shock to me, but it is disappointing,” she told NBC 5 in Dallas. "But, you know, they gave us a gift—they left us a brand new American flag.”
Reverend Patrick Price said while the theft is "annoying," he doesn't see it as a crisis. "We hope that it opens up a large dialogue with the community as a whole,” he explained. To the thief, he says, "Come and talk to us. Have a conversation.”
Perhaps not surprisingly, the church had a backup flag ready for just such a contingency.
"We’re not naive. We realize when we put up the first flag, we realized someone might decide they wanted to remove it without our permission," said Friauf. "So we decided we would have a flag in reserve." The new rainbow banner will be hoisted alongside the American flag this Saturday.
Gilbert Baker, the man who first designed the rainbow Pride flag in 1978, passed away on March 31.
h/t: LGBTQ Nation
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023