Every day during the month of June, we will be spotlighting our 2022 Logo30. This powerful series profiles ordinary and extraordinary people who show pride in unique and provocative ways. Visit the Logo30 homepage to view current and past honorees.
Dr. Joséphine Altzman is busy all year-round, not just during Pride Month — but she is bringing Pride and passion to everything she does.
Altzman is a vice president at Goldman Sachs' Site Reliability Engineering department, she is also an adjunct professor at Fordham University, and as if that wasn't enough to fill her calendar, she is also a Rabbinical student, with her goal to become one of the first openly transgender Orthodox rabbis.
"At age 11, I learned the word lesbian and I did the math and I said, well, if I'm attracted to girls and I am a girl, therefore I must be a lesbian," Altzman tells Logo. "I made a decision that I would grow up to be a physicist and a lesbian. It took me 15 years to become a physicist and 35 years to become a lesbian."
When asked what Pride is to her, Altzman says that simply, Pride is "gratitude."
"I have to pay gratitude to those who came before me and went through absolute hell and kept on going. I am standing on the shoulders of giants and it is a sense of obligation. I know that I have to pay it forward to those that come after me," she continues. "It's getting better. It's getting easier, but it is not good. And it is not easy to be a young LGBTQ person. Now, we're working on it."
"We're getting there. Hopefully, I won't be one of those people that pulls the ladder up behind her. Instead, I'll be building extra ladders to help bring the others behind me up."
Get to know Altzman and the rest of our incredible 2022 Logo30 honorees in the video below.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023