Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. quietly introduced the first gay male hero in the Marvel cinematic universe back in September.
Joey Gutierrez was an ordinary Joe until his "inhuman" powers emerged, and he realized he had the capability to melt metal, and ultimately, our hearts.
Initially terrified of his newfound abilities and the thought of how it would change his life, Joey was sent to Superhero Summer Camp, where he learned how to control his powers and come to terms with his new life as a S.H.I.E.L.D. trainee.
The next time we saw Joey, he was happier and confident, having learned new skills (he can now manipulate any metallic object and make it shape-shift into any form that he can imagine)
The few glimpses of Joey we've gotten since we first saw him were leading up to last night's winter finale, in which Joey was recruited to combat Hydra and help with a rescue attempt.
This being S.H.I.E.L.D., the details of the plan are a bit vague.
Forget it, Joey. It's best if you just wing it.
Joey's powers are put to the test when one of the baddies tries to shoot Daisy, and Joey steps in front of the firing line, discovering a new power - he can instinctively melt bullets. Cool!
Filled with self-confidence, Joey is front and center with the rest of the team, taking the initiative when Hydra tries to break through their defenses.
After some tense-filled moments, the team succeeds at their mission, thanks in no small part to Official S.H.I.E.L.D. Team Agent Joey Gutierrez. Okay, he's not "official" yet, but this can't be the last time we'll see him. Right?
When the show does return this spring, hopefully Joey will be included. After all, they'll need all the help they can get combating the alien-possessed, zombified Grant Ward!
What a waste.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023