Kalavati Mistry and Miriam Jefferson's wedding made history this week as what's believed to be the first Hindu-Jewish interfaith lesbian wedding in Great Britain. The ladies held a Hindu ceremony in Leicester, donning the traditional red and white garb, garlands and mangala sutra necklaces. They also held a traditional Jewish ceremony in Texas, where they reside, back in February.
"It's really nice to now have a Hindu wedding here," Jefferson told the Mail Online, "because it brings both of us together and completes both of us in my eyes."
“I will follow the Hindu faith and follow some of the Jewish traditions," Mistry told Pukaar News. "I’d like to see our lives bond together, our traditions and our cultures. We get to embrace both, Hinduism as well as Judaism. That’s how I see it. I hope this brings people together.”
The couple met and fell in love 20 years ago while at a training course at an interfaith organization they both work for. Mistry was closeted until very recently, telling the Independent coming out had been "very difficult for me as an Asian gay woman." Still, she adds, friends and family have been "welcoming and embracing."
"I hope many many gay people—no matter what religion or culture they're in—are in loving relationships."
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023