Every day during the month of June, we will be spotlighting our 2022 Logo30. This powerful series profiles ordinary and extraordinary people who show pride in unique and provocative ways. Visit the Logo30 homepage to view current and past honorees.
By Sam Manzella
For someone who describes himself as “an idiot with wifi,” Tommy Do certainly keeps the laughs coming.
The out writer, comedian, and performer is best known for his satirical social media posts about #Instagays, the scarily perfect breed of (predominantly white) gay men who capture each and every shirtless hangout for the ‘gram. (If you’ve spent any amount of time on Instagram or TikTok, then you surely know the kind.) But his critiques aren’t mean-spirited, and Do is self-aware enough to know that sharing thotty pics can be empowering.
“I just want people who maybe take themselves too seriously to be able to laugh at themselves,” Do tells Logo. “I'm not perfect in any way, and I'm not saying this is the right way to be. I'm just saying, like, it's fine. You are not going to die if you don't look a certain way. You know tequila sodas suck. They’re so gross.”
All jokes aside, Do actually joined his first television writer’s room for HBO Max’s Miracle Workers, a career milestone he’s spent years working toward. It was especially meaningful to him as an Asian-American queer man who struggled to find possible models growing up.
“Representation really means everything truly,” he shares. “It wasn't until recently where people who I consider my friends and peers are doing really well. People like Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Patty Harrison, Sherry Cola — they gave me confidence, truly.”
Learn more about Do and the rest of our inspiring 2022 Logo30 honorees in the video below.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023