Acclaimed X-Men writer Scott Lobdell is dropping a few hints about No World, his new title for Aspen Comics: It stars a 250lb, fierce black woman who's transgender.
Oh, and she used to play for the NFL.
The as-yet-unnamed character appears on the cover of Now World's first issue, which Lobdelll tweeted out.
"Former NFL. 6'5 250lbs," he wrote in the accompanying tweet "She's here. She's trans. She's gonna kick evil's ass! #gnc #nonbinary #fierceAF"
In a followup tweet, he added "#THICKE #PassingIsForFootballs #SuperHeroine #Nonbinary #GNC #FierceAF #Aspencomics #NoWorld." The “passing is for footballs” tag is a play on words alluding to her football past, as well as the act of passing for cisgender.
Aspen Comics was launched in 2003 by artist Michael Turner, and has found success with titles like Fathom.
The Aspen Comics universe is getting a slight reboot as characters from multiple series are united for a crossover event called “Revelations.”
"Enter a brand-new phase in Aspen’s growing collection of thrilling series, as characters from our most critically-acclaimed titles unite—Executive Assistant Iris, Soulfire’s Miya, the supernatural vigilante Dellec—along with an exciting new cast of characters come together in this altogether different story...
A mysterious conglomerate has emerged on the scene with a sinister purpose—the incorporation of pure evil on a scale never seen before! But, will this collection of unstable personalities come together as friends to defeat this new adversary—or will they instead battle as foes?! Find out in this new Aspen Comics title ready to tip the scales on everything you thought you knew about the Aspen Universe!
Lobdell has written LGBT characters in his comics before: He was responsible for Northstar coming out in Alpha Flight, and added gay teen Bunker to the Teen Titans. But he's also been criticized for writing some female characters as overly sexual, and a female panelist once accused him of sexual harassment. (He apologized.)
Asked by on Ywitter trans blogger Mia Violet if he'd talked with any transgender people for the comic, "as consultants or just for opinions on language, etc," Lobdell replied, "I live in L.A. and have a few close friends who will keep me honest!"
He added, "and @beranek and @Shakeenz as well! #wontletyoudown," referencing trans writer-filmmaker Christian Beranek and actress Shakina Nayfack.
No World Number One arrives in stores on April 26.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023