What does a little boy from Cameroon do once he get officially crowned as the world's next big drag superstar? We'll, after a year of appearances, charity work and a hit club single she launches her globally fabulous one-woman show!
This Thursday, May 20th, the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 1, Bebe Zahara Benet will make her NYC theatrical debut when her one-woman show, Queendom, premieres at the legendary cabaret venue Don't Tell Mama!
What exactly is this show gonna be? Here's a peek from the official show description... Prepare yourself!
Queendom is an interactive experience that transports its audience to the royalty of Africa. The theater becomes a majestic African palace and the audience members become its honorary guests.
A story is told through a fusion of upbeat American music with harmonious African chanting and tribal elements resulting in a fresh and edgy musical experience that is beautiful to the ears and healing to the soul. Glamorous animal inspired high fashion original costumes and décor are a visual treat.
And speaking of treats, royal guests never leave empty handed as special gifts that tickle the senses are given to everyone at every show.
After the jump, our Q&A with Bebe about the show and more!
Queendom sounds like The Lion King meets the Discovery Channel meets Cirque du Soleil meets RuPaul's Drag Race??? What's the deal?
I looove how you describe it because that is what it is. The space will be transformed into a fantasy palace, and the audience will be my guests. I get to talk to them and share with them my stories through dialogue as well as my feelings through music. All of these elements will help to connect the audience and me so they feel like they are also part of something special.
What's the music like? The costumes?
The music is very modern. I take urban, pop, house, R&B and fuse it with tribal elements, sounds, lots of chanting which creates a harmonious unique blend of cultures. For the costumes, just think of "Drama” and that will explain everything.
And the audience gets a gift??? What is it?
A queen never gives away her surprises.
How did this come to be? Will the show tour?
I wanted to bring my fantasies to life, but also give an opportunity for people to hear my own voice, my own stories, my own music, my own thoughts... As well as take the opportunity to define who I am as an artist. And definitely, we are working on a tour to different states as well as internationally.
What's the best show you've ever seen onstage? What piece of theater has affected you most profoundly?
The Lion King, Fela, The Wiz, Dreamgirls, The Color Purple... All of them!
What else can we expect from you this summer?
My next single will be coming out soon so I will be touring with that as well, too. So look out for me I might just be in your area!
Finally… This will be your first summer in New York City. What's your favorite place in the city?
Pier 81 at 41st Street. You have to check it out, it's very peaceful.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023