Charlie Hunnam is showing us some of what we missed by his not doing Fifty Shades of Grey in an edgy new pictorial for V Man.
The King Arthur star is bare chested with a blood-red cross painted on his face on the cover, shot by Tim Walker.
Inside the 35-year-old actor tells the magazine that dropping out of Shades was "was the most emotionally destructive and difficult thing that I've ever had to deal with professionally."
Considering the critical lashing the film got, though, it was probably a smart move—though officially it was his commitments to Guillermo Del Toro’s Crimson Peak and FX’s Sons of Anarchy that made him walk away.
"I'd given Guillermo my word, over a year before, that I was going to do this film. People were saying, 'Are you crazy? Guillermo still has got four months to recast, it's the fourth lead, you can go and do this [instead],’” he recalls.
"I said, 'I can't. He's my friend, I've done a film with him, I gave him my word.’”
Hunnam, who got his break as a rambunctious gay teen on the original Queer as Folk, calls himself “a difficult, long-winded decision-maker at the best of times."
In addition to his hectic shooting schedule, “there was a lot of personal stuff going on in my life that left me on real emotional shaky ground and mentally weak. I just got myself so fucking overwhelmed and I was sort of having panic attacks about the whole thing," he recalls.
"I just didn't know what to do.”
The one thing he won’t abide, is gossip he balked at Fifty Shade’s risqué sex.
"The outside perception of that was that I got really cold feet and got scared of the explicit nature of the sexuality of the piece," he says. "When I was 18 I was getting fucked in the ass [on QAF], completely naked on national TV, you know?”
Oh we know, Charlie. We know.
V Man #34 is on newsstands September 17
h/t: E! Online
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023