Officials in Washington State report a local man has contracted HIV while taking PrEP. Not much has been revealed about the unnamed patient, including whether he took the medication consistently, but the Seattle & King County's Public Health Department reports he was infected with a rare strain of HIV resistant to both medications in Truvada, the drug's commercial name.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
If taken correctly, PrEP can reduce the risk of HIV by 90% (though studies have reported numbers as low as 86% and as high as 99%). Of the hundreds of thousands of people taking PrEP worldwide, there have been only five reported cases of someone testing positive.
Last year, an Australian man participating in a PrEP clinical trial became infected with a drug-resistant strain of HIV.
A Dutch man on PrEP also tested positive in 2017, but doctors theorize his unusually high number of sex partners (50 a month on average), the frequency with which he had condomless sex, and the presence of other STIs in his system may have been unique factors.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023