BSIP/UIG Via Getty Images
Forget anal bleaching. Gay men in Thailand are ushering in a new skin-lightening fad for their nether regions by lining up to get their penises whitened.
The Lelux Hospital in Bangkok is reporting that nearly 100 men a month have been coming in for the treatment, with most of them being members of Thailand's LGBT community.
The clinic is already known for its body-whitening services and staff members say they began to offer the unique treatment after a customer complained of "dark parts" on his package.
"These days a lot of people are asking about it," manager Bunthita Wattanasiri told AFP, saying that most clients were between 22 and 55-years old.
The procedure, which costs about $650 for five sessions, uses a tiny laser to whiten the area.
"We have to be careful because it's a sensitive part of the body," Wattanasiri said.
The treatment received an excess of attention after Thai media released images of a man undergoing the procedure on Thursday.
Although skin-whitening services are available worldwide, Channel NewsAsia reports that they're particularly popular in Thailand, with ads for the procedure recently being accused of promoting racism.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023