The school year is about to start earlier than usual for the Heartstopper teens.
Netflix has announced that the highly-anticipated second season of the Emmy-winning series will premiere Thursday, August 3. While details about the eight-episode season are being kept under wraps, Netflix did release an official description of what fans can expect:
Nick and Charlie navigate their new relationship; Tara and Darcy face unforeseen challenges and Tao and Elle work out if they can ever be more than just friends. With exams on the horizon, a school trip to Paris and a prom to plan, the gang has a lot to juggle as they journey through the next stages of life, love and friendship.
In a new behind-the-scenes video from the set of Season 2, Kit Connor (who plays Nick) reveals creator-writer Alice Oseman "has got some amazing scripts for us," saying the new episodes feel "cool and fresh."
"Just a different vibe to Season 1," the Emmy winner adds.
As Logo previously reported, Netflix's megahit YA LGBTQ series had our hearts melting back when it premiered in spring of 2022, but after only eight episodes fans were swooning for more. Thankfully, Netflix granted a two-season renewal order for Heartstopper, promising fans at least two additional seasons of Nick and Charlie's adorable rugby romance.
Oseman previously revealed that Season 2 would adapt storylines from the third volume of the Heartstopper graphic novels:
"That is when the teacher romance happens. So in the show, we've already got Mr. Ajayi, but in the books, there's also Mr. Farouk, who comes in, in volume three," Oseman explained. "And they have this kind of interesting friendship going on in the background that eventually becomes something more."
"I think that will be so much fun to write in the show, and I'm very excited to hopefully get to write it."
With the season date announcement, Oseman confirmed that the new season would adapt the third volume, telling Netflix's Tudum: “Season 2 is based on Volume 3. So we had a good foundation. But there’s not enough in the book to take a whole season of TV, so there had to be a lot of creation of new stuff.”
The Heartstopper creator recently announced that a fifth volume of the graphic novel would be released later this year, but sadly, that the following sixth one will be the final volume.
But luckily for us, Netflix has already renewed Heartstopper for a third season, so we won't have to leave Truham Grammar School anytime soon. Hearstopper Season 2 premieres August 3, until then check out a behind-the-scenes video from the set below.
- Hope You’re Hungry — the ‘Drag Me to Dinner’ Trailer Is HereThe campy cooking show premieres May 31 on Hulu.05/08/2023
- Jonathan Groff Joins 'Doctor Who'The already-stacked cast includes Jinkx Monsoon, Neil Patrick Harris, Ncuti Gatwa, and more.05/05/2023
- Hayley Kiyoko Pushes Back on Nashville Anti-Drag Laws, Brings Queens on Stage"We will not be silenced," said the "Girls Like Girls" singer.05/04/2023
- Alex Newell and J. Harrison Ghee Make Theater History With Tony NominationsThe gender-nonconforming actors are breaking down barriers on Broadway05/03/2023
- 40 Drag Superstars Serve (Food) in Hulu’s ‘Drag Me to Dinner’Alaska, Jackie Beat, Jinkx Monsoon, and many others will appear in the campy competition series, premiering May 31.05/01/2023
- Queer Partners Try Out Polyamory in Enlightening 'Couples Therapy' Clip"If you're not relying on a long-standing tradition you have to invent something new."04/28/2023